How much does granite cost? What kind of material is Granite? How to install granite worktops Essex?
Granite is a natural stone that has been quarried from the earth and cut into slabs. It is often used as a kitchen or bathroom countertop because of its durability and beauty.
Granite is a type of rock that is composed primarily of quartz, feldspar, mica, and other minerals. The colour of granite ranges from light grey to dark brown.
Pros and Cons of Granite Kitchen Countertops
1. Durability – Granite is very durable and can last for many years if properly cared for.
2. Looks good in any home – Granite looks great in any house. It will never go out of style.
3. Easy to clean – Cleaning granite is easy since it is non-porous. You just need soap and water.
4. Low maintenance – Since granite doesn’t require special care like marble, you don’t have to worry about cleaning it.
5. Versatile – Granite can be used in different ways such as wall cladding, flooring, countertops, etc.
6. Great value – A high-quality granite slab costs less than most materials.
7. Customizable – Granite comes in various sizes, shapes, colours, and patterns.
8. Can be installed by anyone – Anyone with basic skills can install granite.
9. Resistant to heat and scratches – Granite is resistant to heat and scratches.
10. Environmentally friendly – Granite is eco-friendly.
Reasons to Consider Granite Countertops
1. Expensive – Although granite is affordable, it still isn’t cheap.
2. Hard to find – Granite is hard to find these days. Most people only buy granite when they are remodelling their homes.
3. Not suitable for all types of kitchens – Some people think that granite is too heavy for their kitchen. They prefer lighter materials such as wood, laminate, and stainless steel.
4. Limited options – There are not many choices when it comes to granite. You have to choose between granite, limestone, travertine, and marble.
5. High maintenance – Granite requires regular cleaning and polishing. If you want your granite to look new, then you must keep up with this task.
6. Heavy – Granite is heavy. It weighs around 60 pounds per square foot.
7. Labor intensive – Installing granite is labour-intensive. This means that you need to hire professional help to do it.
8. Not recommended for small spaces – Granite is best suited for large areas. For example, if you have a small kitchen, then you should consider using another material instead.
9. Requires skilled workers – Granite installation needs highly trained professionals who know how to handle this material safely.
10. Difficult to maintain – Granite requires proper care and maintenance. If you aren’t careful, then you may end up damaging the surface.
How Granite Countertops Work
Granite is made up of two layers: an inner layer called the matrix and an outer layer called the veining. Both layers are formed from quartz or feldspar. The matrix is the main component of granite. It provides strength to the stone. The matrix is also responsible for its colour. The matrix is usually greyish-white but can come in other colours such as black, red, green, blue, yellow, brown, pink, orange, and purple.
The veining is the second important part of granite. It gives the stone its pattern. Veins are created through a process known as “intrusion.” Intrusion is the act of creating holes within the stone. These holes allow water to pass through the stone. As a result, the stone looks like veins.
Types of Granite
There are three major types of granite: natural, engineered, and manmade. Natural granite is the original type of granite. It has been found on Earth millions of years ago. It was first discovered in Brazil. However, most of the world’s supply is now imported from China. Engineered granite is a mixture of different minerals. It is used mostly for countertops because it offers excellent durability. Man-made granite is similar to engineered granite. It is made by mixing sand, gravel, cement, and lime.